I distinctly remember seeing chai french toast on a breakfast menu somewhere in town, but for the life of me, I can’t remember where. I must have blocked it out of my memory because I couldn’t order it, having sworn off gluten many months ago. Armed with some store-bought GF bread, though, I realized all my chai french toast dreams this morning (er, afternoon, seeing as I woke up around 1:00 today- yikes!)
Chai Spiced French Toast
1 loaf bread (I used Udi’s gluten-free bread, but use anything you like!)
5 large organic eggs
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tbsp. Vietnamese cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. clove
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Lightly oil a skillet or pan and set to medium heat.
2. Crack your eggs into a large bowl or shallow, wide dish (such as a pie pan.)
3. Add half and half and the brown sugar, and whisk until combined with the eggs.
4. Add all of your spices and whisk, whisk, whisk until the mixture is smooth and light brown in color.
5. Coat both sides of bread in the custard and cook until golden brown on each side.
6. Add butter, syrup, or fruit if desired; but this french toast is sweet enough to eat on its own.
Although I think this recipe turned out smashingly, it’s my first time taking the flavors of a drink and applying them to something totally new. If you make this recipe and have any suggestions, please let me know!