I had some slammin’ BBQ tacos at Texas VegFest a few months ago, and I’ve been hankering for something similar ever since. I made these for me and two other people last night, and they were so good that I made them for dinner again tonight! I baked the tofu similar to this recipe from Oh My Veggies, but I bet it would be fantastic grilled, too.
p.s. It’s day 21 of my Indiegogo campaign to make Hippie Eats a better blog! You get hugs, a handwritten thank-you card, blog advertising, writing/editing work, or a cooking class if you donate. Pretty sweet, if you ask me. Now, on to the tacos!
BBQ Tofu Tacos with Crunchy Asian Slaw
Gluten-free, Vegan | Serves 3-4
2 14 oz. packages extra firm tofu
1 c. barbecue sauce (plus extra for basting)
2 c. thinly sliced red cabbage
2 c. thinly sliced green cabbage
1 c. shredded carrots
4 tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp. Sriracha chili sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. agave
2 tsp. Braggs liquid aminos or gluten-free soy sauce
6-8 gluten free tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Drain tofu and cut into cubes. Lay the cubes in between paper towels or a clean dish towel and gently press to remove excess water (I usually have to do this 3-4 times.)
3. Place tofu in a large bowl and add barbecue sauce. Gently toss to coat. Set the tofu aside to marinate while you prepare the slaw.
4. Combine sriracha, peanut butter, agave, rice vinegar, and Braggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
5. Add red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots to the bowl; toss until combined. Refrigerate the slaw until you are ready to assemble the tacos.
6. Lay tofu on a greased baking sheet (save any extra barbecue sauce remaining in the bowl!) Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven, flip the tofu cubes over, and baste with extra sauce. Return try to oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the cubes are crispy on the edges. My tofu was dry, so I brushed another coat of barbeque sauce on there to finish it off.
7. Assemble the tacos! Place tofu cubes on a warmed tortilla and top with a scoop of slaw.